Sunday, December 14, 2008

Feeling the Love

Since I've been nagged to update my blog, I guess I will. ;)

I'm sitting here watching the cowboy game with Ivan, my dog snoring at my feet, the boys clean, with full bellies and getting ready for bed. All feels right with the world right now. I love when I can feel at peace like this, it's pretty rare that I'm not growing ulcers, worrying about everything. I might seem cool on the outside, but I've always got thoughts in the back of my mind, tapping me on the shoulder.

Ivan was on call this weekend, but he only had to go out once, for a few hours. Some weekends he doesn't have to go at all, others he's out starting on friday night sometimes, and we don't see him all weekend. You never know. He has to stay kind of close to home, too, when a unit goes down he has an hour to get home, get his work truck, and be there. And his jobsites are scattered all around. It's frustrating sometimes, but we knew this is how it would be when he went into this field of work. It's not too bad usually.

Saturday morning Ivan left, the kids and I just hung out, I did laundry. Joyous laundry! A few weeks ago, my washer died. We paid big bucks for this stupid washer, it had some great features and I loved it, but it had problems from the beginning. Ad it repaired over and over, always something different. When my 3 year maintenance plan ran out, they wouldn't even let me renew because they had so many problems with this one washer. There was even a lawsuit, but it didn't include my state. As much as I've wished this machine out of my life, I didn't really mean it. So I go to craigslist. I've used that site numerous times with success, never had a bad experience. I find a washer that they guy said was pretty new, less then a year old. We talk to him on the phone, he says it's like new and a good washer, blah blah. Ivan asks for directions (he lives in FtWorth, kind of far) and the guy even offers to load them up and meet us halfway. That's cool, what a nice guy. By that evening when Ivan got home to hook it up, I had a pile of dirty clothes waiting, and my mouth was practically watering. (I'd been washing some clothes at my sister-in-law's house, but only what was absolutely necessary, the rest was taking over my bathroom.) Turn it on, try to run a cycle, and something is wrong. Ivan calls the guy, he says he had just used the washer, it was working perfectly, and asked ivan if he could look at it and see what's wrong, and if it's not an easy fix, he'll "make it right." Ivan takes some stuff apart, and discovers the water pump is bad. This cannot be happening. Turns out that was the last time we'd talk to our buddy Rick, he never answered again. Ugh. We spend $50 more, and buy a water pump online, because no one had it in stock, and wait another agonizing week for it to get here. I've never been so happy to do a mundane chore. Something needs to be clean for tomorrow? I can do that! Weee! Never take your washer for granted! :)

And that's where I stopped typing and fell asleep watching the Survivor Finale. lol. I will finish this tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

VanillaBean said...

Traci,
So glad you updated your blog. Oh I feel your pain about the washer. On of the benefits about still renting is having appliances get fixed on someone else's dime. Our landlords have been pretty good about fixing our stuff but we have had bad bad luck with washers and dryers. We went though 2 dyers and 1 washer. I think they thought was never cleaned the lint trap which I do EVERY time I switch loads. I am convinced the lint vent is jammed but their "guy" told them it wasn't. When the last one broke they told us, very nicely, that we had a choice of getting a new dryer and having rent raised (they could have raised it several times before and never have) or purchase our own appliances. I figured with craigslist that would be the way to go. I got cheap appliances since I didn't know if they would break and so far they are going great. Well they dryer is the washer I too old and I think it doesn't clean as well but I beats the heck out of the laundry mat. On an episode of West Wing there was a saying along the line so how it's the everyday stuff you take for granted that when it breaks causes the most havoc and I totally agree! Happy Washing!!!