Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 24, Addition

Max missed the kindergarten cut-off by 9 days. Don't think I was sad about this. He's my last little monkey, and I wasn't ready to let him go. Some days, though, I feel bad that he's trapped here at home spinning his wheels. He would've done fine in school, and he'd be flourishing. So I try to challenge him every day. He loves workbooks like they're candy, and he'll go through one in a day. One that was left over from Cameron has addition in it, and he asked me how to do it. So yesterday he learned how to add. There is nothing I like more then watching a child learn. When he ran out of pages with objects to count, and into the pages with only the math problem, he was ready to give up. I told him he could draw in his own objects, or use his fingers. MY FINGERS?! He was reeled right back in. And I got to watch more of his thought process, only now it's illustrated!

When Tanner and Cam got home, he told them he learned to add today. They were testing him with simple problems, then Tanner said 1+2+3. I said, he only learned to add today, he's not there yet. Then behind me I heard Max mumbling numbers, starting over and over again, looked over and his fingers were hard at work. I thought, that's so great that he didn't back down from that challenge just because it's hard. I kept stirring dinner. Soon I hear SIX! TANNER, IT'S SIX! Wow! Tanner said, See Mom, he can do it. lol.

Next year I have to let a stranger watch his sweet little fingers work, but for now they are all mine!

1 comment:

The Morris Family said...

thats so awesome he's going to be advanced!